Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Let's try this again

So, in a classic case of honeymoon syndrome I was Super! Excited! And! Serious! about being healthy for all of three days and then lost it. Fast forward to now and a week ago I got on the scale to see I'd hit a milestone in completely the wrong way, and now weigh something I was hoping never to see again. Cue the familiar heart pounding fear and flurry of action, which has led to a few things emerging from the dust.

1)Things that worked before won't necessarily work now

I have been on this weight loss kick most my life, using different approaches, and while I've been successful at different points in my past I really need to find something that fits in with what the current me is doing, rather than try and shoehorn in something that doesn't fit me now.

2) I may not be ready for hardcore tracking.

I usually love tracking food and using numbers and all that stuff, but after trying it last time I think it's no good for me right now. I work as a teacher in an English school in China, I work until 9 pm most nights and when I come home the last thing I want to do it sit down and try and figure out the calories in what I ate today (especially as they don;t list calories on most foods here!). It overwhelms me, which in turn makes me think 'well, if not I'm not tracking I may as well not do these things either' and the whole thing falls apart.

3)Make better choices

Given that I'm not tracking, using common sense is going to be a big part of this. I've banned myself from McDonald's for now as it's just too much of an easy option at work. I've found a couple of cafeteria style places near work where there are a lot of choices so I can choose more vegetables when I go out. Given that it's hard to know what goes into these dishes it's hard to say if calorifically they're better for me or not, but they are at the very least more nutritionally diverse. An extension of this is that I'm trying to eat more Chinese food as most the western stuff around work is bad for you.

4) Eat dinner out less

I don't want to  give up my social life as it's easy to become very isolated here, but on work nights I'm trying not to take the easier (usually less healthy) option of just going to restaurant with workmates because we're all tired and don't want to cook. Monday nights are my Fridays, so I can go out for dinner then with everyone, and will try and make decent choices wherever we are. This means if the place we go doesn't have any 'good' (for want of a better word) options, I will not use it as an opportunity to EAT ALL THE THINGS, rather choose the least damaging and be mindful of portions.

5) Go the gym!

Christ, even once a week at this point would be OK, then anything else is good, but choose something and keep it up regularly. Even a little is better than nothing.

So that's where I am right now. I've been doing the above things for about a week and feeling a little better for it. I know my numbers but I'm going to wait until I'm in a definite routine this time before I go all out about posting them. At this point I'm trying to do things better without too much pressure or negative talk to myself.

0 comments: