Friday, September 4, 2009

So, how did it go?

The hardest thing about stopping for a while is starting again. This goes for blogs, exercise, and (I think) everything else too.

I think my experiment at making all my own food was a good idea. There are good and bad things about it (that's I'll go into in a sec), but overall I enjoyed it.

The bad: it takes time. This isn't usually a problem for me as I'm single with no children and work that (for the most part) stays within work hours, but it could be more difficult for someone with other commitments to take care of. One of the problems I had during this month was not planning well enough though. Often I'd wait until I was hungrier than I should have been to start cooking, and factoring in the extra time it took to make meals that would mean I was either starving by the time I had my meal, or looking around for snacks I could eat. I was also trying out lots of new recipes for my food blog, so I was spending a lot more on food than I usually do. My food is a lot more varied, which is both a good and a bad thing, because I don't want to keep repeating meals, but then means I'm trawling my books and the Internet for new recipes to try that can be adapted to use ingredients I can actually find here.

The good: It's harder to binge, because there aren't that many really unhealthy non-convenience foods. It's possible, I had dessert-for-dinner a few times this month because I love to bake, but it's definitely harder to eat mindlessly when you have to put some effort into making things yourself. I chose to have dessert for dinner, I didn't mechanically stuff it in my mouth and then wake up to a bin full of empty wrappers. Also, while I was spending much more on food, I ended up having equal or even more money than I was used to because of things (like binge food and ready made meals) that I wasn't buying. The fact that it evened out really made me face up honestly to how much ready cooked food I must realistically go through.

It's easier than you'd think to make everything. Things I'd just assumed would be hard (like bread) were incredibly simple. It just requires time management.

Overall I'm glad I did this, and want to continue with it (though perhaps with a little more flexibility when needed). I'm focusing more now on healthy meals if I can. This last month has taught me to enjoy food again, I purposely just ate what I felt like and didn't worry about it. For the most part this was good, and I'd go with what satisfied me, but I've noticed in the last week or two that I'm going past that, into the realm of eating until I'm uncomfortable again, and eating late at night. Which tells me it's time to focus a little more again, and choose meals I can enjoy making that are also good for me. I don't want to be trapped int he endless repeat of stir-fries, I want something that will stimulate me in the activity of cooking as well as supplying my nutritional needs.

I didn't exercise at all last month, and that was a waste. I think if I can start doing it again the things I eat will take care of themselves.

What's your favourite recipe? I'd love ideas, I'm always on the lookout for something new to try.

1 comments:

Lauren said...

I like tofu parmesean, it's really nice, you take some tofu, squeeze and drain it. cut it into whatever sized pieces you want. if you prefer unbreaded, just drizzle some olive oil and bake for about 10 minutes, but for breaded you beat an egg, dip the tofu in it then dip it into the bread crumbs, then bake it for 10 minutes, flip and bake it for another 10 minutes til brown. once you do that, you layer the pieces in a pan with tomato sauce and cover with cheese and bake the whole thing until the top is brown and bubbly. serve with pasta. It's nummy. yes I just said nummy.