Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Two lessons down

Last night I was playing around on the Internet, trying to avoid the stuff I had to do (make up a couple of handouts for a lesson today, ride my bike), when I realised how pointless it was. Really, you can't ever completely forget about what you're supposed to be doing when you procrastinate, it's always there. I bargain with myself to check my emails first or pick up my clothes, but that feeling in the pit of my stomach that tells me I have things undone that I'm going to need just doesn't leave me.

I had lessons third and fourth period today, so I was telling myself that I could finish writing up the handouts in the morning. But then I have the worry that I'll run out of time, or forget something I need, and I can't really enjoy the other thing I was telling myself would be so much nicer. Finally I'd had enough of my internal whining and just said 'that's it', unplugged my connection cord and got to work. I got my riding in so that I wouldn't have to do it later when I was tired (I was aiming for an early night), and got everything written down for my lessons so that I could sleep properly instead of stressing about it.

The lessons themselves have been a bit of a mixed bag in terms of successful student participation, but the classes seem fairly eager, and they were happy to have the ALT (er.. me) in their lesson. It was my first lesson with them so I was a little worried how it would go, but they seemed to enjoy themselves in the end. I love new first years, they always get so excited to do activities. My only lesson tomorrow is fourth period, and is using the same intro lesson plans as the others, so it should be less stressful.

It was payday yesterday so I sent some money home during lunch. I'm back to paying off my credit card right now because I recently bought a plane ticket home for Christmas, so my 'savings' idea for 2009 hasn't quite taken off as it should. I will try and remedy that as soon as possible.

I was biking last night and felt good when I got to 20km so I kept going to 40. I probably could have done more if I'd wanted to push it, but at that point the unmade handouts were calling so I stopped. It took me up to my 100km aim so that's good, I'll just wait and see how I feel tonight before I decide how long to go. My weight is fluctuating a little right now (I hit a low of 104.8 for a day, but am at 105.4 right now) so I'm not sure how Saturday is going to go for me yet. It's only Wednesday though, so time to work it out still. My water has continued to be good so it can't be that, it may just be me in need of a good sleep.

3 comments:

jessi said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! Yeah, I really would like to exercise at night, as well. I'm currently in school full time as well as working as well as kids - so often i don't feel like it. but i need to pick one!

Cammy said...

Way to go on the exercise, but equally importantly, good for YOU for opting to get the "need to" things done, too. Being prepared helps keep things on an even keel.

ani pesto said...

Hugely impressed at how you un-plugped and got down to business. I'm so guilty of procrastination and my 'internal whining' is seldomed silenced.