Friday, March 27, 2009

Survey Says? Part the second

Thanks for your input everyone! Right now I'm leaning towards the first one, but we'll see. Another question for you, seeing as you're all being so obliging (this one is actually weight related):

Do you eat your exercise calories?

My weight has really being going up and down for no discernible reason, and Cammy mentioned increasing my calories might be the way to go. My calorie goal for the each day at the moment is 1832 calories (as assigned by the daily plate) to lose two pounds a week. I get enough calories without exercise, but once you figure in calories burned I think it's too low? I don't want to eat all the extra calories I burn though because I'm never sure if the estimates they give me for any one activity is right or not, they always seem a little.... over-enthusiastic with the numbers? I currently use this exercise calculator and then add my calories to my food log manually (the DP one always seems to think I've burned so many that I stopped using it). The categories for choosing my exercise always seem a little vague too, at what point can I count my biking as 'moderate' rather than 'light'? Is it taking resistance into account or just time? WHO KNOWS? It's quite frustrating.

What does everyone think?

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I asked this question not so long ago and got no answers, so I think everyone is confused really. Lyn was saying today that you just have to try stuff until you find something that works, and if it doesn't work anymore do something else. And just because something hasn't worked for you before, doesn't mean it won't work now. BTW, you are doing awesome with the biking. I've done it for 3 days running now and it's tough.

ani pesto said...

I'm a little late (and commenting on stuff from the last few posts all in one), but for the record my vote's for the first dress - it's lovely and very flattering, more so in the neckline and waist than the purple.

I'm the same as you described in that my dress size is very different to my jeans size. I am one size for tops, the next size up for dresses and up to another size (or two) for jeans and trousers. I feel like a con claiming to be my dress size while my jeans are so much bigger ;-)

I notice my appetite increases when I work out a lot so I think I naturally tend to eat a little more. I remember when I used to do WW you earned more points to eat more when you exercised and I'd use the extra.

As to how to categorise your exercise in terms of light or moderate i really wouldn't know - I'd hope they'd have some sort of guide. Speed, time and resistence are going to burn different calories for different people depending on how heavy or fit they are. My spin class teacher goes by breathing and other indicators (if you don't have a heart monitor) - if you can still read a magazine while you're cycling/treadmilling it's light, if you're starting to open-mouth breathe it's moderate and if you're getting out of breath it's heavy.

Wei Sic Meow said...

I no longer count calories or points but when I did WW I used to mostly eat my exercise points but tried not to eat them all if I could. You do need the extra calories if you're exercising but I would try to eat them only on the days I was exercising (as WW lets you save them up across the week) and what is also important is what you eat. Right now I try to eat carbs only on the days I exercise - some good carbs at lunch is a good way to use those extra calories, or a treat right after exercise.

As for the intensity, I read a good guide somewhere that was based on breathing, as Ani points out. If you can still talk normally it's light, if you talk but are out of breath it's moderate, and if you can't talk it's heavy. I think that was the simplest way to gauge it that I've seen. Hope that helps.

Mama Bear June said...

I eat around the same amount of calories every day. I lift weights 3 times a week and try to do something cardio 5 or 6 days, but it's usually just walking or ballroom dance. Since starting the Flat Belly Diet on Feb 9th, I've lost 13 pounds and I'm totally happy with that. I did read an article about getting too MUCH exercise recently. I linked to it on my blog.
Path to Health