Sunday, March 29, 2009

Oof.

So, it turns out to get to just over 1800 calories after exercise I have to eat a lot of food! A difficult amount in fact. I may see how this week goes, and then try lowering it a little and see if I can still lose. I think my major problem (well... 'problem') is that I don't eat 'diet' food, for the simple reason that either it doesn't really exist here, or I just can't find it. This means that I just cut out the junk rather than replace it with lower calorie versions of things. It can make it difficult to make up this amount of calories because it means I'm having to eat a lot because it seems counter-productive to just fill up with junk to make the numbers.

On the plus side it has meant I can loosen up a little with the kinds of things I'm eating. If I want a mini ice cream cone (120 calories) as the occasional afternoon snack, it's not going to be the end of the world. And when I go back to work tomorrow I'll be getting up earlier so there will be more time to have snacks and things without feeling like I'm constantly eating.

Scale was down slightly this morning, but I'm going to give my body a few days to adjust to eating more and see what happens before I start celebrating. I think the next couple of weeks will be an experiment with numbers to see what's best for me.

I tried my weights out. The bar ended up being easier than I though, but having the smallest weights on each end was too heavy, so now I have a plate on one end and am just being careful how I hold it. It's total weigh is 3.3kg (7 pounds) and I felt alright. I couldn't do very much, but I felt it in my arms this morning (in a slightly sore, but not debilitating way) so I think I'm fine for now. I will work on increasing how many reps of everything I can do.

3 comments:

Wei Sic Meow said...

Good for you, you are doing really well. Eating junk to make up calories is counterproductive so you have a really sensible attitude towards the calorie count.

I think you'll also be surprised how quickly you build up strength with the weights too. Before you know it you'll be lifting with the small weights on both ends and building up from there. Good stuff!

Cammy said...

You're so right: 1800 calories of healthy food is a LOT of food! Almonds and other nuts are good go-to food for nutritional calories. They're also good for lots of other things as well. :)

Lauren said...

a lot of people start with just the bar, it's pretty heavy on it's own, you could try that. I'd like to see a layout of a standard day's meals for you, I'm curious. I can use more healthy meal ideas.