Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh God

So, when I got a call from one of my adult students saying we were having a dinner party after class today I assumed they meant a Japanese meal, which typically would mean a serving of sashimi to start, a serving of rice, a bowl of miso soup, a main dish of some kind, and either a scoop of ice cream or a small serving of chiffon cake for dessert. I could do that, no problem.

Err, no. When my class do things, they do them properly.

We went to a little restaurant (our big table basically filled it), and had a full multi-course meal. I wasn't expecting anything like that so I didn't have my camera, but I took notes. We started with a tiny a tiny trio of cod roe, salmon sashimi, and a vegetable cheese thing. We followed that with the soup course, a gorgeous, thick, smokey potato soup (thankfully these were all Japanese sized portions, so very small by western standards). After that came the pasta course of spaghetti with cabbage and chili (I'd estimate a couple of ounces), and the fish course of sea bream topped with onion, with a tomato and pesto sauce and (oddly) a sheet of seaweed, then the micro salad with a slice of bread. Following that came the meat course, two amazingly tender chunks of slow cooked beef in demi-glace sauce with a side of oyster mushrooms. Dessert was the ever-popular chiffon cake and mini cream puff, with a tiny sliver of chocolate cake. And then I went ahead and exploded as we drank our tea.

It sounds like a lot of food, and yeah, it was, but as I said the portions were small to allow for the number of courses. We ate really late too because I taught the class first, so we didn't finish eating until about 10pm. Don't get me wrong, I had a fantastic time, I always do with this class, but I really wish it hadn't been on a Friday night.

I had done 15km before leaving to meet my daily requirements, but after getting home and logging everything into DP I realised more was needed, so I got back in the seat and did another 15km. Thanks to that I finished the day 4 calories under my daily allowance. I had planned to try upping my calories a little, but I wasn't going to start until after weigh in. Next week I'm going to make sure I get my full calorie allowance every day after my exercise, that way I know no matter how many calories I burn I'm finishing with my 1832 at the end of it. I bought a cheap Reebok heart rate monitor off of ebay earlier this afternoon, so I'll try that out when it arrives. It would be nice to know my heart rate so I can figure out how may calories I'm burning more precisely. It may be great, it may be a disaster, but it's worth a try. If I overeat and gain at least I will have done something to deserve it this time.

On the topic of disasters, weigh in is going to be horrific. I was already stupidly up to 108 again this morning, I cringe to think what tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That meal sounds amazing! What a shame that you didn't manage to get any pics :(

Mama Bear June said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of tasty food! :-)
Path to Health