Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A question

How big of a margin of error do you think they factor in to the 'maximum user weight' levels for exercise machines?

I mean, if you're going to be flailing about I assume there must be a little right? I can't ask in the store, my crappy Japanese and my pride do not allow it.

Here's the deal: I want to buy an exercise bike. To get one that goes up to a maximum of 120kg is going to cost a lot (the average cheap bike goes up to 90kg), but to get one that goes up to 100kg is about half the price. I'm 110kg right now, and I have a month until I buy it. Assuming the worst (but hoping for better) and I stay at my current weight, does anyone think it's worth the risk?

I don't want to break it. One, the waste of money would be terrible, and two, the shame. Oh God the shame. "What happened to your bike?" "I sat on it". I would hope that once I started using it I would get lighter, so fingers crossed this won't be an issue for long, thoughts? Should I go for it or not, I'm waiting to hear your opinions!

I've decided to re-join the Healthy You challenge for 2009. I wasn't going to because I didn't do so well last year, but I think that was down to me, rather than finding the challenge detrimental in any way. Any one who isn't taking part check it out via the badge on the right.

4 comments:

Mama Bear June said...

Have you seen any good bikes with a recumbent seat?? I have one of those and it's the only thing my hiney can take! And I would think they'd be able to handle more weight. If nothing else, talk to the people at the store about it.

Welcome back to HYC!
Path to Health

Once Upon A Dieter said...

I'm guessing they have a bit of leeway UPWARDS (but I wouldn't say a whole lot). I think that's the safe way for them to account for their limits (cause if someone injures themselves and they're UNDER the weight limit,s oundsl ike a lawsuit to me, and they'd not want that.)

However, the more expensive/made for mroe weight bikes are sturdier, and there's that to consider. There's also the regain thing. What if you go through a period of regain and are afraid to use the bike.

Personally, I'd go for the higher weight or be very careful not to be more than 5 to 10 lbs above the limit, just in case.

Happy riding!

The P

Mama Bear June said...

Oops, forgot about the Japan thing! Surely there's somewhere online you could find out????

Wei Sic Meow said...

Welcome back to HYC! Glad you're joining us again.

With the bike I'm sure they have a little leeway so you would probably be fine with the one that you're considering. But if it's not going to break the bank and you are going to get a lot of use out of it you might want to go up to a stronger, more robust one. Would reselling be an option once you've used it a little bit and lost some of the weight? (Can you tell I'm addicted to ebay??!)