Friday, October 31, 2008

Cycling to 'high' in the weight loss circle

Yesterday I came home tired and a little hungry, and resisted the urge to hit the supermarket and take the easy way out.

So glad I did! The dinner I made was soooo good. I had some scallops in the freezer so I defrosted them and some prawns (shrimp). I sauteed some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, then added white wine (well, technically 'apple and fiber' wine, it was all that was in the house after a party about six months ago, I'm not a big drinker), and some chili powder. When that was ready I stirred in the quartered scallops and the shrimp and left it in the pan until the seafood was cooked through. I sprinkled a little cheese on it and done! It was fast and delicious. I'm going to try and get more fish in my diet as a healthy source of protein, so it worked out really well.

I have some ore fish in my freezer (misc type of white fish fillets, I couldn't read the label), so I may cook those and serve them on top of the same tomato mixture. Failing that I have some vegetables that need using because I neglected home cooking for so long, so I may end up throwing all my veg in a pan with some beef and onions and making a curry with them.

Halloween party tonight. I'm fairly sure I won't be drinking (as I mentioned I'm not a big drinker, and I don't have the money for it right now anyhow, though I do get a free drink with admission) but the real test will be not ordering food at the bar when I get hungry. I don't know how much time I'll have to make dinner because people are coming to stay at mine and I'm helping decorate the place. I may put the curry on anyway and put some brown rice in the rice cooker (I found brown rice, yay!) then if worst comes to worst I can take a break from the party (I live opposite the venue) and grab a quick dinner at home.

My supervisor just came over with a mikan so I've got miso soup and mikan (a satsuma) for lunch - good times.

4 comments:

Tully said...

Woo hoo! Great work! That sounds like an absolutely delicious meal. I need to make some more interesting meals like that. You had my mouth watering. :-)

Hope the Halloween party is heaps of fun.

Once Upon A Dieter said...

I miss scallops and shrimp so bad. :( Wish I could eat seafood.

It's torture!

But I'm glad it's making you happy. :D

The P

Cammy said...

Those are some inspiring meals!

Have fun at your party (and great idea on slipping home if you get hungry!)

Lauren said...

sounds like you are doing great. Um. Oh yeah, I remember now. How do you defrost the scallops. I don't really want to leave my fish out while I go to work, is there any other way?