Wednesday, September 3, 2008

.... Okay.

Having had my tantrum, thrown my toys out the pram and declared that I won't play nice with the other kids, let's get back to business.

Low-carb: thoughts?

Some of my big problems are wanting to stuff myself with tonkatsu and copious amounts of white rice at any given opportunity, and the complete lack of an alternative to white carbs, and a not so minor chocolate/bread addiction. I've read that once you get through the induction you find your cravings for carbs lessen? That would be great.

So to anyone currently rocking the low-carb lifestyle, which program do you recommend? I was thinking South Beach but am worried that I won't be able to find the foods I need to stay on it. Reading labels in Japanese has proven to be more miss than hit on my very best days, so I'm going to have to stay away from packages where-ever possible because I won't be able to tell how many carbs are in it, where as a piece of meat or an egg will be pretty much the same regardless of where I am.

3 comments:

Poonie said...

I did South Beach for a while and after the initial cold turkey and the terrible carb withdrawal that went with it, I definitely stopped craving carbs. However, I didn't find the plan to be sustainable and realistically if you are living in a place where you will have trouble finding low carb alternatives you may find it hard to keep up with it. Just something to think about.

Blossom said...

As said above, it can be a bit challenging to keep off the carbs, especially if you're a "carb addict". Myself, I've found I've been most successful losing weight with a low-carb approach. The initial phase can be a bit tough, but it seriously does get rid of most of the carb cravings. However, I've found if I do slip up & have more carbs than I'm supposed to, those cravings come back big time. I do find it pretty sustainable -- you end up eating more veggies, and more unprocessed foods, I find. It takes a bit of work but it's possible.

Scale Junkie said...

I think south beach is the healthier version of low carb however I just read last week that Atkins has "revised" their plan and now its looking a lot more like South Beach.

I believe in healthy carbs and not empty carbs.