Sunday, June 8, 2008

Going well so far

Well, the title pretty much sums it up. After I posted here yesterday I completely cleared out my fridge and scrubbed down the inside. I planned my meals for the next few days (shock, horror! I never do this), and then went to the supermarket. My eating tends to include a lot of fresh veg so I don't do a big weekly shop, I'm also hoping that planning three days at a time will mean that I actually stick to it instead changing my mind half way through.

Because I had cleared everything I had to do quite a big shop, which meant that I ended up spending 6,653 yen (just over £32, or $63 based on today's exchange rate). That's much higher that what I generally expect to spend on a grocery shop, but as I was starting from scratch it was understandable. I looked up the recipes for my planned meals and made a (long) shopping list before I went, and stuck to it. I'm also still well within my grocery budget for the month so I'm feeling really good about everything.
Breakfast: Bran flakes and a banana

Lunch: A lettuce, tomato, yellow pepper, bacon and shrimp salad, with a hard boiled egg and diet sesame dressing

How many calories is all of this? I have no idea. I don't see that as the point though, I'm more focused on the control I'm feeling now, and how I'm enjoying my food. If it doesn't make a difference on the scale then I'll start worrying about calories, but for now I'm not going to freak out about it.

Lunch started out as a cheese-less Cobb salad, but as you can see from my twitter I managed to buy the hardest avocado known to man, so had to do some last minute changes. Dinner is going to be Mabo-dofu, but I'm trying out a recipe instead of using a packet in order to make things a little healthier. I've just noticed that the recipe doesn't call for miso though, so I'm not sure if it will taste the same or not. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try and update pictures when I've made it.

ETA: I made the mabo-dofu and it tasted fine, so I was worried for nothing. It's much easier to cook than I had been imagining, so I'll definitely be making it myself from now on.

Dinner: Mabo-Dofu

4 comments:

Poonie said...

Good for you! The salad looks really yummy by the way!

pantrypuff said...

I like the last dish - that looks really good...

totegirl said...

Wow, great job of sticking to your list! I had lost track of you for a while, but I'm so happy I found you again! I usually just lurk, but I'm here to say that I really think you can do this. If you stick to your budget, there just won't be money for junk! I'm dirt poor right now, and it is REALLY helping me eat well! I've been OP for 5 whole days!

I also just rejoined WW, and the leader had some really interesting stuff to say about the difference between motivation and determination. When you lose motivation, just get super-stubborn and make yourself stick to what you really want, which is to get healthy and get back to a certain weight by your July trip.

YOU CAN DO IT!

kathrynoh said...

Your dinner looks awesome - can you post the recipe sometime?