Monday, June 30, 2008

The best laid plans...

D'oh, my bento plan has been scuppered by a surprise lunch invitation. A teacher came over and asked if I had brought lunch with me today and I said yes. She was a little sad because she was going to invite me to lunch with her and some other teachers. I told her I was sorry and if I'd known I wouldn't have packed it, but she just said 'how about eating it tonight?' instead and then stood there kind of awkwardly.

I didn't feel like I could say no, and they're really nice people, but it means that my carefully planned day has now been interrupted, and that the bento will go to waste as tomorrow I already have lunch plans. Unless the bento would last until Wednesday (it's Monday here now?) Thoughts anyone? It's the one from the picture below, so maybe if I kept it refrigerated it would be OK?

They haven't decided where to go yet so I have no idea what kind of food it will be.

Edit: Fuck, they said we'd be leaving at 12:30 and there is still no sign of anyone. I'm starving, and it will take a good half-hour to collect everyone and get to a place, plus ordering food time. I knew they'd be late.

Edit 2: Okay, I had a good time. The teacher came back about 5 minutes before the deadline I'd decided on and told me to get ready to go. We drove around for a friggin' hour because they couldn't decide where to go (at which point i was beginning to feel a little sick), but once I had sat down and eaten something I was feeling decidedly less grumpy about the whole situation. It also had the upside of the teachers feeling like I'm more part of the group, which helps in day to day relations.

4 comments:

kathrynoh said...

Maybe next time you could have your lunch then join everyone for a drink or something after lunch? It's always nice to go along to work things, isn't it.

The Better Idiot said...

Yeah, not really an option. They were driving out to this place so there was no way I could have joined them. It's hard to put into words the atmosphere of a Japanese workplace or the expectations of a Japanese group, but it makes it difficult to say no.

Tully said...

I hate workplace food obligations. It is the one place I have trouble controling what I eat- not because I want to eat unhealthy foods, but because it can be expected. It sounds like it was good that you went, sometimes when you say no to an invite, people don't bother asking again.

Spider63 said...

I hate when that happens to me, but I always go with the group in order to foster positive relations. It is a good idea, and you did the right thing.