Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Accidental Exercise

I want to add more exercise to my regular routine, but I find that I'm really lazy about getting up and doing it. Given that I walk to school every day I was wondering how far it actually is and if it could actually be counted as exercise. Imagine my surprise when I put my route into mapmyrun.com (don't be fooled, I do absolutely no running) and found out that my walk there and back comes in at nearly 3km. That's 5 days a week!

Now, I don't do it all at once (half getting there in the morning and half getting back), and I still think I need to add more because this is just part of my lifestyle so I think my body is used to it.

But I'm chuffed.

10 comments:

Cammy said...

3km definitely counts as exercise to me! Plus, I'm guessing that you're carrying a book bag? That makes it even more of a workout. If you wanted to up the intensity, you could try walking faster for parts of the route.

You have every right to be chuffed! :)

Irish Mom said...

It totally counts!! Turn it up a notch by pumping your arms!! I startted wearing a pedometer to work to find I walk a 5k in a 12 hour shift!! Granted its running back and forth all day and lots of up and down, but I was amazed to find how much it was.

Ouch to the chaffing!!

Teale said...

I just discovered that website like a week ago... where the heck have I been?! I love it!

pantrypuff said...

That's awesome! I'd totally walk to work if it was not 8 miles away. And 135 degrees :)

Pattie said...

I'd say it counts - every little bit counts! Yay you!

Where are you in Japan? My best friend of 35+ years lives in the Sabae area, teaching ESL.

Nicole said...

That's fantastic exercise!! Well done!

I'm not sure what chuffed means, but I think it's good. :)

Grumpy Chair said...

I have read it is better to break up cardio exercise into two or three segments through out the day.

Find a running store and by some bodyglide for the chaffing.

Man, I would love to throw out all the contents of the refrigerator and start over "clean" but my kids have to have something to eat (and neither have a weight problem so I am not going to punish them because I do). The hardest things for me to not nibble on are the cheetos.

pantrypuff said...

No, thanks for YOUR comment !!!

I love your website. And your avatar. It kind of resembles my son :)

Irish Mom said...

BLAHAHAHA at the chaffing vs chuffing. Big difference. I thought it was a little TMI. I got a good laugh at my error, I have learned something new today!!

Grumpy Chair said...

Oops! Thanks for the clarification.