Friday, May 16, 2008

Live from my desk

The fast few days have just run by, mostly due to the fact that I've actually been teaching for a change. It was Golden Week a little while ago so the lessons had to be rearranged to fit around the public holidays.

Not that I want to give you all the impression that I had no time, when I say 'busy' I mean I had two classes to teach a day, as appose to two classes a week. I made the days go faster though. One thing I both love and hate about my job is the amount of time I spend sitting in the staff room just putting in time. On one hand life as a desk barnacle has it's advantages, you have time to study Japanese, or write, or screw around on the Internet for eight hours a day. On the other hand, so much free time stretching before you can get boring. It leeches your motivation so that you're not actually achieving anything during those empty hours, and you begin to resent it when you do actually have to get up and work. The less you do the less you want to do.

This week has been good though, knowing I have something means that I'm forced into at least low productivity, which turn builds momentum and makes me want to do more. The more you do the more you want to do. There is a certain correlation between that and exercise I think. Last week I exercised three times, but it was difficult and I didn't like it. When I make the effort every day (or rather, with a set regularity rather than when I feel like it) it becomes so much easier, just slipping into my routine and making me want to push it further.

During my vast Internet time I stumbled across these and oh, how I covet. If I can scrape together the cash after paying for my flight home I'll have to order them. It's my birthday on Sunday (25! No longer in my early twenties! GAH!) so perhaps I can swing it as a gift to myself.

Eating the last few days has been alright. Not the perfection of last week, but not terrible. I suspect more effort is needed.

1 comments:

Grumpy Chair said...

I hear you on the "I expect more effort is needed" thing. Ahem.

I love those magnets!

Anyway, sorry about the boredom but glad to read you had a great week.